2009年10月8日 星期四

Syphon is Coming!

This is how Syphon looks like and other tools we need.


Today I’m going to introduce you a kind of coffee appliance: Syphon which is very common to make coffee and has many names in Taiwan like “賽風”or ”虹吸式咖啡機.” The first time I knew syphon and had the chance to use it was when I joined coffee club in freshman year. Actually, syphon is fascinating to me because I will get different flavors every time when I use it to make coffee and the most important is that it’s really easy to handle as long as keep an eye on the steps.

Before we begin to make our own flavor coffee, we have to prepare a syphon, a little pot, a stirrer, a heater, and wipers including wet and dry. The coffee beans I used today are Yirgacheffee from Ethiopia which has obvious light lemon sour and flower fragrance.

First, put water in lower spherical glass to tab two and boil. Here is a vital tip that before heating water, we have to make sure the spherical glass is dry; if it’s not, use the wiper to dry it or the glass will burst because of the wet surface heated.



Second, when the water boiled which will be drawn to upper glass, put coffee powder in and stir it. Initially, we have to use stirrer to mix water and coffee forward and backward, and then make circles around the rim of glass. Don’t forget to draw a line to let coffee powder calm down which may be over extracted. Next, after doing the movements at forty seconds, one minute and ten seconds, one minute and forty seconds, we can turn off the heater. If you want to drink thicker coffer, I suggest to doing this step four or five times.


Third, use wet wiper to wipe the spherical glass to make it cool and the coffee will drop. Be careful to wipe it from the top of the lower glass to the bottom or the glass will crack because of the dramatic temperature difference.






With easy steps, we have already made our coffee. You will have surprises about the tastes every time when you use syphon. Now, what are you waiting for? Go to make your own flavor coffee!


3 則留言:

  1. Maybe you can put some explaintation of some special tools in chinese, I think that will help your readers to know more about the whole process.
    I think it's a good article. I can learn how to make a cup of coffee myself by following the directions you provided here. The information you provdied is very useful.
    I am looking forward to reading more of you articles to learn more about making coffee.

    回覆刪除
  2. Thank you for your suggestions, and I will remember next time when I mention some special tools and explane it in Chinese!!
    I'm glad to see you here!

    回覆刪除
  3. I also like to taste coffee, and I am very interested in your article. Sometimes I also use the Syphon to make coffee. But I should make it clear which is your main purpose:"the method of using a syphon" or "making a good coffee with syphon."
    If your topic is "making a good coffee with syphon",you can continue introducing the process until you finishing making a cup of coffee (like adding some sugar and coffee maker) I expect there will be many interesting blogs like this.>_<

    回覆刪除